Residents of Umuoma community in Umuoji, Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State, were thrown into panic after a two-storey building under construction partially collapsed, raising fresh concerns over construction safety and regulatory compliance.
The incident occurred on Monday evening as workers reportedly escaped moments before the structure began caving in.
When reporters visited the site on Wednesday, the building, which was said to be intended for hotel use, had tilted dangerously in different directions after suffering a partial structural collapse.
A resident identified simply as Uzor said more than 20 construction workers were on the second floor of the building when loud cracking sounds suddenly emerged from the structure.
According to him, panic broke out immediately as workers rushed to save themselves.
“Prior to the collapse, more than 20 workers were working at different sections of the building. Around 5pm, loud cracking sounds came from the second floor and the structure began caving in. Thankfully, nobody was trapped because the workers jumped down one after another,” he said.
He explained that the structure, designed as a three-storey hotel building, now leans dangerously on multiple sides and poses a serious threat to nearby residents and road users.
Uzor suggested that the speed of construction and heavy rainfall in recent days may have contributed to the incident.
Another resident, Amaka, blamed the collapse on possible use of substandard materials and what she described as rushed construction practices.
“How can blocks be stacked on top of fresh ones that have not dried properly, especially during the rainy season? Many of the iron rods sold today are inferior and not suitable for multi-storey buildings,” she said.
She also disclosed that government officials visited the location on Tuesday and immediately sealed the premises to prevent further danger.
Observations at the scene showed the property had been cordoned off with warning tape and barriers following the visit of officials from the state urban and town planning authorities.
An official at the site, who spoke anonymously because he was not authorised to comment publicly, confirmed that investigations had commenced.
According to the official, authorities are examining whether proper approvals were obtained and if construction standards were violated.
“The premises have been sealed pending investigation. The building is now slanting in different directions and poses a serious risk. Authorities will determine how the structure failed and whether necessary procedures were ignored,” the official said.
He added that although construction workers were present during the collapse, no casualty was recorded.
Meanwhile, spokesperson of the Anambra State Police Command, Tochukwu Ikenga, confirmed the incident but said detailed information was still being compiled.
“Yes, it is true, but details are still sketchy. I will provide more information when details become available,” he said.
Building collapses continue to raise concerns across Nigeria, with experts frequently attributing such incidents to poor supervision, structural defects, substandard materials and weak enforcement of construction regulations.
Professionals within the built environment sector have repeatedly called for stricter monitoring and stronger compliance measures to reduce avoidable structural failures.



