Two people have been confirmed dead after a 5.2-magnitude earthquake struck southern China’s Guangxi region in the early hours of Monday, triggering building collapses and large-scale evacuation efforts.
According to reports from Chinese state media, the earthquake hit Liuzhou city in Guangxi at approximately 12:21 a.m. local time, leaving widespread destruction in its wake.
Authorities said one person remained missing as rescue teams continued search operations across the affected communities.
Buildings Collapse as Thousands Evacuate
State broadcaster CCTV identified the deceased victims as a couple — a 63-year-old man and a 53-year-old woman.
Officials also confirmed that at least 13 buildings collapsed following the tremor, while more than 7,000 residents were evacuated from impacted areas as a precautionary measure.
Videos aired by state media showed panicked residents rushing out of high-rise buildings moments after the earthquake struck.
Scenes from the disaster zone also revealed piles of rubble surrounding destroyed structures as emergency workers moved quickly to assess the damage.
Rescue Teams Continue Search Operations
Search and rescue teams, accompanied by trained rescue dogs, were deployed to locate survivors trapped beneath debris.
Emergency personnel wearing protective helmets and operating heavy equipment, including earthmovers, were seen clearing wreckage across affected sites.
Authorities said rescue operations remain ongoing as teams continue efforts to locate the missing individual.
China Faces Frequent Seismic Activity
Earthquakes occur regularly across several parts of China due to the country’s geographic location along active seismic zones.
Earlier this year, a major earthquake in the Tibet region claimed at least 126 lives and destroyed thousands of structures, highlighting the recurring threat posed by seismic events across the country.



