IDP housing project will cost N3 million each using direct labour – Minister, Edu

2 Min Read

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Dr Betta Edu, on Tuesday, inspected houses being built for Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the Idu area of the FCT.

The one and two-bedroom houses would be built to accommodate IDPs in states as part of efforts to address multi-dimensional poverty in the country, Edu said.

According to the minister, each house will be constructed at N3 million through direct labour involving the intended beneficiaries.

Also Read: Demolitions: Lagos gives options to property owners on drainage setbacks in Lekki, Ajiran, others

”The Tinubu administration is committed to providing shelter to accommodate at least five million displaced and vulnerable households in Nigeria.

“If you recall the federal government had just approved the humanitarian trust fund, which has 30 per cent donation from the government and the remaining 70 per cent from donor agencies and individuals.”

The minister said work on a similar project for IDPs has commenced in Benue.

”The groundbreaking of this project was done in Benue, and as we speak they have completed the clearing of about 10 hectares for the building of 40 houses,” Edu said.

She said the structures are easy to build, and this would speed up the provision of houses to IDPs in different parts of Nigeria, especially in Borno, Zamfara, Adamawa, Yobe and other areas. (NAN)


Share this Article
Leave a comment