Flooding Worsens Moro Bridge Crisis, Strands Commuters on Kwara–Oyo Route

Taiwo Ajayi
3 Min Read

Commuters travelling along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State were stranded on Monday after heavy flooding overtook the already collapsed Moro Bridge, submerging vehicles and worsening disruption along the critical interstate route.

The incident reportedly followed an overnight downpour that caused the Moro River to overflow its banks, trapping several vehicles in floodwaters and leaving passengers stranded as they waited for rescue.

The affected bridge, located between Oko-Olowo/Mandala in Ilorin West and Asa Local Government Areas, had collapsed on April 30 after a heavy-duty articulated truck reportedly crossed the aging structure.

Flooding Deepens Transportation Crisis

The bridge collapse had already disrupted a major transport corridor linking Kwara State to neighbouring Oyo State and routes extending toward the Benin Republic border.

Monday’s flooding further complicated the situation as a temporary diversion route earlier promised by the state government had yet to be completed.

Video footage from the scene showed partially submerged vehicles struggling through the flooded area while stranded travellers attempted to navigate the rising water levels.

Residents Raise Concerns Over Delayed Intervention

Motorists and residents expressed frustration over delays in completing emergency works around the bridge, warning that conditions could worsen as the rainy season intensifies.

A trader identified as Kafayat said the incident had already affected business activities and increased transportation costs.

“This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing transportation costs for commuters and businesses,” she said.

Residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project situated beside the collapsed structure had remained unfinished for years.

Fears Grow Ahead of Peak Rainfall Season

Communities around the Moro River axis warned that heavier rainfall expected in July and August could trigger more severe flooding if urgent intervention measures are not implemented.

Following the bridge collapse in April, Kwara authorities introduced traffic diversion plans and promised immediate actions to ease hardship.

The Commissioner for Works, Abdulquawiy Olododo, had stated that the state government was collaborating with federal authorities to address the crisis.

He explained that engineers had been mobilised to carry out palliative work on alternative routes while assuring residents that construction of a new bridge a few metres from the collapsed structure was ongoing.

Aging Bridge Under Fresh Scrutiny

The Moro Bridge, a colonial-era Bailey bridge, has served as a key transport link connecting parts of Kwara and Oyo states for decades.

However, the structure has repeatedly undergone rehabilitation due to persistent structural defects, raising fresh concerns over infrastructure maintenance and public safety.

Join Our Whatsapp Group

Share this Article